- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 handfull cilantro
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- 170 grams organic tomato paste (1 small can)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- ½ cup oats
- 1 medium onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
Garlic Basil Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- juice of half lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ -3/4 cups water
- For the burgers, soak the sundried tomatoes in warm water for approximately 45min -1 hour. Remove and pat dry.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half and rub flesh with coconut oil. Roast flesh side down for 400F/205C for 25 min or until tender. Let potatoes cool, peel and add to large mixing bowl along with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and tomato paste.
- Chop cilantro, rosemary, onion, sundried tomatoes, and mince garlic. Add to the mixing bowl with potatoes.
- Grind the oats until a rough flour is formed, and add to potato mixture.
- Using a potato masher, mash the mixture until potatoes are broken down and ingredients are mixed well.
- Add beans and mash another few times, its fine that the beans get smashed a bit!
- Roll 10-12 balls with the mixture and press to flatten into patties.
- Heat a Tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and add burgers. Fry on each side for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- For the cream sauce, soak cashews overnight or for at least 4-5 hours, rinse and drain well.
- Add cashews to blender with the water and blend until desired consistency- the sauce should be creamy with no small cashew pieces (add more water if needed). Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Serve burgers open faced with bread of your choice, and add basil garlic cream on top. Serve with any other toppings such as avocado, pickled onions, spinach.