The month of holiday parties is here, and that could mean a lot of extra drinks. If you’re faced with a full calendar of events, we’ve got a few strategies to keep in mind for healthier consumption, and a few of our trainers’ favorite drinks.
- Sparkling water is your friend. Let’s say you don’t want to drink, but you don’t want to make a thing of it: sparkling water, ice, and a squeeze of lemon or lime looks perfectly festive, and no one has to know there’s no alcohol in your cup.
- Stick to clear liquors. You probably know this already, but this is a tip our trainers really stick to.
- Avoid sugary mixers. Sodas, syrups, and anything artificially flavored (or colored!) don’t do you any favors. Stick to soda water and squeezes of citrus. If you want a bit of sweetness, go with fresh juices.
- Pretend you’re drinking an ice cream cone. This tip comes from our wellness coach, Safia, and it’s solid advice. Alcohol is processed and assimilated in your body the same way refined sugar is, so keep that in mind when you’re considering having another drink.
- Drink more water than alcohol. Or at least one glass of water for every alcoholic drink.
Our trainer, Emily, likes to mix vodka or tequila with fresh grapefruit juice and a bit of lime. It’s refreshing, easy, and has some vitamin C!
Ariel made an anti-inflammatory drink after a class recently by mixing soda water and tart cherry concentrate. Add a splash of clear liquor, a citrus garnish, and you’ve got yourself a cocktail.
You can never go wrong with really good tequila and a splash of lime. Unless you have too many drinks, of course.