Treats, no Tricks! Enjoy these delicious and healthy Halloween-themed Hummus and Smoothie recipes from our Health & Wellness Coach, Safia Morsly-Fikai.
Between the festive parties and sweets galore, October is a candy-filled month of temptations! Add to that changing temperatures and sicknesses going around, keeping myself and my family healthy can be challenging. Remember that sugar significantly alters your immune system, which can increase your chances of getting sick. While it’s okay to indulge your sweet tooth in moderation, make sure to steer clear of candy that contains high fructose genetically modified corn syrup. These are two recipes that I have been making at home and that we all love. Enjoy!
Curried Halloween Hummus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) or butternut squash puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add curry powder.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until everything is combined and fragrant, about 60 additional seconds.
- Add honey and stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree chickpeas. Add pumpkin, ginger, salt, and garlic mixture. Puree. Adjust seasoning. Serve immediately or put in refrigerator so flavors can meld. Serve with veggetables or rice crackers
In a blender mix together:
- 1/2 orange
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 baby carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp Pure maple syrup
- 1 handful ice