AKT Health and Wellness Coach, Safia Morsly-Fikai, shares one of her favorite quick and easy detox salad recipes, just in time for Memorial Day weekend.
- 2 cups arugula or greens of your choice (dandelion, watercress, and endive are great for spring detoxing)
- 1⁄2 cup red onions, sliced thin 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup radish, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice from one lemon
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup of sunflower seeds
- Chop vegetables and mix in a large bowl.
- Top salad with avocado and sunflower seeds.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
Radish – Radishes are a natural cleansing agent for the digestive system, helping to break down and eliminate stagnant food and toxins built up over time.
Carrots – Carrots contain beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that gives them their bright orange color. Beta-carotene is absorbed in the intestine and converted into vitamin A during digestion. They also contain fiber, vitamin K, potassium, folate, manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin E, and zinc. Increased intake of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables reduce cancer and cardiovascular disease risks.